Sunday, January 31, 2010

1-Elsa Obus: What is Art?

144bg.jpg

I agree with Lucy when she says art has a lot to do with the viewer. I believe art is a display that solicits a reaction. It can compel the viewer to think and feel new things, which they must then confront. Good art can make the viewer have strong emotions and ideas even about something depicted that they have no personal connection to.

This painting, "The Death of Marat" by David, was one of my favorite paintings I learned about last semester in my art history class. I think David does a great job making the viewers feel the hopelessness and sadness associated with the French Revolution and specifically Marat's Death even though, obviously, none of us viewing it now have been very personally affected by the events.

Relatedly, I think art can span time as long as it continues to affect its viewers and bring out their strong emotions and reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment