Monday, February 1, 2010

1. Kat Yang - What is Art?




I was going to post along the lines of what Lucy and Elsa wrote. I think art is an opinion. For example, to Duchamp, a urinal was art. To Le Corbusier, architecture was art. To Mies van der Rohe, a chair was art [Barcelona Chair, 1929]. Art can be one of kind, and it can also be completely replicable. (So are food labels art too?)

I think this question draws parallels to the great debate whether golf is a sport. Does physical exertion alone define a sport? Well does a single criterion define art? I don't think so. I think art is (and this is very cliche) in the eye of the beholder. It depends on an individual's opinion whether something qualifies as art. One person's opinion about art and what qualifies something as art cannot be transplanted to everyone else. Art is subjective and not at all objective.

My "art" - buttermilk biscuits with herbs

No comments:

Post a Comment