Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Candice Low Self Portrait

A big part of my life revolves around rhythm--feeling, creating, expressing it in all that I do, be it dance footwork or piano footwork or the rhythmic stirring of a pot of stew. I decided to depict my feet in my self-portrait cos its my primary way of sensing rhythm. Besides, our poor feet obligingly run us around all day and we hardly examine them as much as we do our faces. In dance and music, one of the most important concepts is knowing how to feel your weight into the ground, and then learning how to transfer or shift that weight through other channels in your body. I tried to convey this sense of rhythm through the lines in my drawings, and then did some smudging and shading that didn't really show up on the camera. Conveying rhythm in music and dance is also about conveying a sense of direction, which I guess is a concept that could easily apply to real life--a little bit of rhythm never hurt anybody

No comments:

Post a Comment