Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lucy B-C




For my self portrait I knew I wanted to draw because I wanted to challenge myself to work more with a medium that makes me slightly uncomfortable. I also knew that I didn't want to draw myself straight-faced because I am so rarely straightfaced. I chose this photograph for a few reasons. First, and most importantly, I think my expression captures something about myself and the way i move through this world. I like the fact that even in the real photograph it is almost unclear whether i am smiling and laughing or crying. I like the thought that all intense emotions run together. I also wanted the added challenge of drawing a difficult expression. I am not sure if i captured it at all, but it was very interesting to watch my face change in my drawings and try to pinpoint exactly what creates the perception of a particular emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment