Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Leah Cogan - 3


I'm very late with this but I've finally scanned my rendition of Nicoletta Ceccoli's 'Tower'. What I found most intriguing about this image is the geometrical perspective which, at the time, we were looking at in class (drawing all our neat little cubes!). The contrast of light and dark proved very difficult when only using a black and white palette. Perhaps the project would have been easier now! I was attracted originally to children's illustration and found myself drawn to the active but flat slivers of story given to us by the Caldecotts and Beatrix Potters of early child books; the simplicity of the defined line and soft watercolors, in a rather Toulouse Lautrec style (with whom I have always been obsessed). Relationship was important to me. These images convey story. But I also felt it necessary to play with dimension. Ceccoli's illustrations have an incredible depth and roundness, something I wanted to play with and see if I could accomplish. Illustrations these days resort to this deep, dimensional, almost computerized feel, often using clay models first or digital refinements. For example Shaun Tan's work (check him out!) What Ceccoli maintains is this kind of 'Precious Moments' heightened proportions of the child to really tug at the sympathy of the viewer. Check more of her stuff out.

No comments:

Post a Comment