Wednesday, May 5, 2010

12. Megan Estes. Lighting Project.

This past week, I co-lighting designed the Attitude Dance Concert with my friend Leandro. It was definitely an experience - I've never worked with dance lighting before, though I have learned some about it theoretically. I was able to get some photographs from the photographer who came in, Mike Nyman.


Sidelight is one of the most prominent lighting types because it "sculpts the body." Colored light from each side, especially from a mid-to-low position, throws a lot of light beneath an outstretched arm or a turned head to add definition to the dancers.


Backlight, like sidelight, is also very popular. It definitely has a different feeling than side lighting, but it is known to add dimension and depth to performers, dancing or otherwise, onstage.



Leandro and I also used a fair amount of lighting on the backdrop (or cyc) to add color, atmosphere and place to the pieces.






I had a ton of fun working on this show. It was kind of a moment-to-moment design process, done and teched and performed all in a week, but it was awesome working with a new group of people and learning more about lighting design at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment