Saturday, May 15, 2010

Leah Cogan - Final Project - The Dress





Inspired to make my own wedding dress after visiting the bridal shop where cupcake dresses abound, I decided a nice 50's style dress would be just the thing. Simple, different, classic. Throughout the process what became of primary importance was making something that represented both Chris and I, something that was not just 'my princess-for-a-day' dress but a symbol of us coming together. To do this, I made use of his used guitar strings to decorate the dress along with pieces from broken bracelets given to me from grandma. The material is mostly from Recycling for Rhode Island Education and my fabric basket. The background of the pictures: Chris' half packed room!

Art is something that communicates. I stand by that. It communicates a story or it communicates a history or a memory. Art can be nostalgic, like making a little figuring the way you used to do when you were 5. Art can be innovative. Art can be every day objects. Art communicates for us when we get bored with words.

1 comment:

  1. I got rid of the underlining for you. Hope you don't mind :)

    -Jonah

    ReplyDelete