Saturday, May 15, 2010

Michael Yanagisawa - final project

photo.php.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3813377&id=505494550#!/photo.php?pid=3813377&id=505494550&fbid=395620664550


my final project, a portrait of my two late grandparents from hong kong.


in addition, i did a spraypaint stencil of a urinal, perfect for that friday night when you don't know what part of the building to urinate on. So if you see a spray painted urinal around ....



Also, there was a great article in the sunday new york times magazine ... may 9, 2010. it's entitled "just priceless," and describes a piece of "art" -- a black box, in fact -- that, once purchased, resells itself (so a complex black box). Is this art? I think so. I'd say, that in the modern day and age, art is subjective, and art is whatever you want it to be. To some, a piece is art; to some, it is garbage. My standards for art, no doubt, differ from a lot of people's; I do not think that a urinal is art in the traditional sense, but I can see how people would this such. I think this correlates perfectly with the fact that art is an "emotional experience" -- if you feel some sort of emotion, elicit some reaction, then the piece of work is art, to you. But art is like religion -- you believe it, or don't. Art is an opinion, something noone can take away. Subjectiveness, beauty, emotions, opinion -- that, to me, is art.


~Mike Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment