Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lucy Final Project Ideas

For my final project I am interested in exploring a bunch of different ideas at first and then seeing how it takes shape. I really like the idea of continuing to push material alchemy but using intangible value instead. Exploring the ways in which we begin to assign value to things, places, and experiences. How to communicate personal senses of value for commonly non-valuable things. Some of my ideas include how things can be valuable for what they say: secret messages, acts of kindness, gifts, thoughtful things, ways of saying I love you visually. How we construct physical representations of meaningful experiences that then embody the meaning themselves: memorabilia, souvenirs. How a place begins to take on meaning: how could I through my experience in a place give a random or traditionally invaluable place (like a parking lot or ally or random patch of grass) meaning? (ideas include having a meaningful experience there and documenting it. Either alone or with a group of people (maybe a shared meal or picnic)) how can I visually or through other senses communicate this accrual of extremely subjective value to another person? We often think about how to make other people care about what we care about or see the value in those things we value. Is there a way that through art I can make a person begin to value a non-valuable, intangible thing like a place or experience that they themselves didn’t have? What other ways can I use to give people that connection or sense of experience? (maybe multi media. Use of smell, sound, food?)
Other random things I am interested in maybe exploring:
Plants. Sprouting. That natural process as a starting point for art.
The times of day of dawn and dusk.
Snapshots of moments in my remaining time

Some of my goals in general for this project are as follows: I want to make art every day. I want to have something that has components that challenge me technically to increase my actual skills with various mediums. I want to have something that strikes a meaningful balance between openness to evolve but also driven enough to produce a cohesive, compelling final product. I want it to be equally valid in its aesthetics as its content.

No comments:

Post a Comment