Tuesday, February 2, 2010

02 - Chris Tyler: Business Card

(front)


(back)

Whenever I design in photoshop, I'm always drawn to empty space and sans-serif fonts. This business card is obviously no exception, but I was excited to learn that there's an actual method to my aesthetic madness. Principles of proximity, contrast, and directionality motivate my work here - particular in the perpendicular composition on the front which creates a spatially dominant but focally void right angle. This geometric cleanliness and attention to color is a hallmark of my work as a director. Additionally, the strong diagonal that bisects the perpendicular lines highlights my attention to movement and frictive texture in my work. Conversely, the compositional principles are wholly inverted on the back of the card, which speaks to my simultaneous desire to create exciting, surprising work that keeps people on their toes.

Only earlier today did I realize how much this looks like the marketing materials put out by the Yale School of Drama. Aesthetic Freudianism, I suppose...

No comments:

Post a Comment