Thursday, February 4, 2010

2. Grace Watson -Business Card


Egypt has been on my mind since I started shopping this class, History of Egypt I, here at Brown. I've always had such a strong draw to the subject, but I've never indulged myself in actually pursuing it. It might seem a stretch as to something that captures my personality, especially since architecture and Egyptology so rarely come into play in what I actually study (biology), but the more I think about it, it makes sense: I've always wanted to travel there, mostly because I'm so fascinated with their culture and why ancient Egyptians did the things they did.
My card ties this "architecture" into modern life, which is so far removed from ancient times, but also very far removed from the mystery that is lost in all our technology. I don't know if a company that created secret passages in people's homes would actually be successful, especially right now- I mean, during an economic crisis, how many people are going to want a superfluous underground tunnel beneath their house? But I think that either way, it's nice to think that we can create our own secrets, and perhaps bring back some ancient mystery that has faded after all this time.
In terms of the card's aesthetic, there is definite room for improvement- I left the Egyptian to be the largest figure because I thought that it represented the physical "manpower" that built these pyramids and other monuments. And I liked how the colors popped.

No comments:

Post a Comment