Tuesday, February 9, 2010

03. Megan Estes. T-shirt inspiration.


When I started thinking about designing my t-shirt, all I had was a vague idea. I kept thinking about those “x-ray" shirts that show ribs or organs or muscles.

I started to wonder how I could make a shirt that communicated in a similar way. Like, “Oh, those are your ribs.” “Oh, it’s a tuxedo.” But more than that I wanted to see if there was a way to communicate a change of the entire body, rather than just changing a facet of that body, ie the tuxedo clothing, or seeing through skin.

What I wanted was, “Oh, you’re an apple.” “Oh, you’re a book.”

You are a ____.

I started thinking of objects and animals that have characteristic and identifiable qualities in the midsection, so that a t-shirt showing only the upper-middle part of that something would still be easily read by others.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was a cool idea. My first t-shirt concept was very similar to the one on the right. I drew a esophagus, the stomach, the liver, and the big intestine. I didn't end up finishing it, but I think t-shirts that show a sort of an "X-Ray" are really fun!
    -Kat

    ReplyDelete