Thursday, February 25, 2010

Olivia Fagon


I'm unable to load my imitation but I chose Goya's Saturn Devouring Child. This is one of my favorite painting, but it was extremely difficult to reproduce. The application of the paint was so gestural that recreating it with a pencil proved difficult. I tried however. I am not a fan of art reproductions, but I understand the value of trying to recreate an artist's piece of work. But that would exercise would have much more to with the process rather than the final product, which is just a copy. Goya's piece speaks to Benjamin's idea of aura, a quality original art has from the immediacy it's given through the context that its created in. It would be almost impossible to truly recreate Goya's Saturn because so much it stems from unstable mental state, which we see translated through color choice, and rough grotesque gestures with the paint brush. There is a uniqueness, an 'authenticity' as Benjamin describes that can not be reproduced.

No comments:

Post a Comment