Wednesday, February 24, 2010

5. Kat Yang - Emulation/Imitation

I chose some of Van Gogh's works. This was definitely a challenge since Van Gogh is about the texture and movement of his colors, and I am about flat awkwardness with my pencil. There is definitely something lacking in my emulation of the post-man looking guy, and I'm not just talking about the facial hair.

Van Gogh's Vase With Violet Irises Against a Yellow Background



Van Gogh's The Lover: Paul-Eugene Milliet

I decided to make a younger, more clean-shaven version of Paul-Eugene. Those whiskies are pretty daunting.

I agree with Benjamin that works of art are associated with an aura; they are best understood in context, whether it be the context in which it was created or the context in which it is admired. I don't think my imitation/emulation really has an "aura" around it though. I don't believe they really capture nuances that weren't covered by the original works themselves. Mechanical reproduction really has revolutionized what is "original" and what is not, but this is not one of those examples. I think it's interesting that you can take one photograph and manipulate it and distort it to get something that is also unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment