Monday, February 1, 2010

1. Megan Estes. What is Art?


What is art? It's an almost impossible question. And yet one painting is in a museum, and one is in a garage sale in a suburban neighborhood. Is the one in the museum indisputably better? Perhaps the only difference between the paintings is who has seen them. Half of the painting's value is the merit given it by someone else, or by a group of someone elses. It was loved by many people at a single point in time, and that fact alone made the painting into A Piece of Art That Belongs in Museums.

I don't like to define art, because I think there are already a lot of people making definitions for it, and many of them don't do the work of many individuals justice; they exclude them from that definition, or force them into a subcategory that is subsequently subpar.

I don't consider myself an artist. I love to make things, and I like to share those things with people around me so they can enjoy them as well. I want the experience of making something, and I like to see that process in the works of others. That's what art, for me, is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment