Monday, February 1, 2010

(wikipedia)
the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions

I think it has fault. Is art always deliberate in arrangement? I don't think that every line and smudge in my drawing of Marcus Aurelius is deliberate. Yet, bad as it is, it's probably art. If I unconsciously made a pretty pattern in the mud with my shoes by accident, did I just make art, or did I make a pretty pattern? What if the pattern was really ugly?

How about the picture above? Does the elephant know what it's doing? Maybe it's moving its trunk around whimsically, just happening to stroke upon that easel with that brush?

To actually answer the question, flawed and trite and vague as it may be: I think that art, in its very broadest definition, is just a perceived (so audience and creator have equal credit) way, process or product, that life "makes". A science experiment could be technically be art, utilizing the skills of detail-orientation and forward-minded intelligence, as long as somebody or something thinks it. A pretty mud pattern isn't art if it exists ignored. It isn't art until somebody, something, somehow, considers that arrangement as it interacts with its conscience.

-Erin (Shirou) Wu

1 comment:

  1. I bought a t-shirt an elephant painted on in Thailand. Fun Fact. -Rachel Borders

    ReplyDelete