Monday, February 22, 2010

5. Rachel Borders: Art Changes, therefore I will Change a Piece of Art

The one phrase that really stuck out to me in Walter Benjamin's essay The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction was "The uniqueness of a work of art is inseparable from its being imbedded in the fabric of tradition. This tradition itself is thoroughly alive and extremely changeable" (IV). Although it has little to do with my recreation, I think that it speaks very true to the nature of art. Art has changed over the years and what people find to be art naturally has changed with it. Art is alive. And I think the nature of art is its ability to morph with time because if it didn't it would become irrelevant. Art could be considered on of the world’s oldest traditions.

For my reproduction I told a picture copy of a spread of the 2003 Vogue featuring Cameron Diaz (for all you fans out there). My goal is not just to recreate the picture of Diaz, but the whole spread as if I have copied a two-page spread of a magazine. So hopefully my final image will look like the image I have inserted above, but with a few changes. If all goes well it will be a commentary on Western Cultures idealized version of beauty. There will probably be some word changing and other surprises. I guess you will just have to wait to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment